viernes, 13 de junio de 2014

Bussines English1


INTRODUCTION




English to learn and to develop it in our daily life is fundamental in an included world where already borders do not exist. For the today professional not only it serves to handle the exact sciences, is fundamental to bring together them with a suitable managing of the universal language of the business. This one the first work directs us the knowledge of this language as fundamental tool to guarantee the engineering in the future business.





Activity 1

1.1.            Vocabulary



Complete the chart of countries and nationalities below using the words from the box. Add other countries and nationalities. Brazilian, Polish, Germany, Kuwaiti, French, Oman, Italian, Spain, Russia, Turkey, Japanese, Swedish, China, Greece, British, American, Indian, Mexican, Korean.
Tabla 1: Nationalities
Country
Nationality

-an
Brazil
Brazilian
Germany
German
India
Indian
Mexico
Mexican
Italy
Italian
Russia
Russian
Korea
Korean

-ese
Japan
Japanese
China
Chinese

-i
Kuwait
Kuwaiti
Oman
Omani
Country
Nationality

-ish
Poland
Polish
Spain
Spanish
Sweden
Swedish
Turkey
Turkish

others
France
French
Greece
Greek
The UK
British
The USA
American


Friday: 5    Monday: 1      Saturday: 6     Tuesday: 2      Sunday: 7
Thursday: Wednesday: 3






Tabla 2: Month the years
Spring
Summer
Autumn
Winter
March
June
September
December
April
July
October
January
May
August
November
February

Table 2: Table The work 1
in(x3)
at(x3)
on(x3)
in the  autumn
at night
on 15th February

in the afternoon

at the weekend
on Thursday
in June

at New Year

on Tuesday evening


1.1.3.4.                   (D) CD1.21 Listen and check your answers to Exercise C

Ø  We have a lot of big orders in March.
Ø  The office closes for three days in New York.
Ø  There is an important meeting on 15th June.
Ø  The CEO visits out branch in the summer.
Ø  We deliver large goods on Monday afternoons.


a.       When are you busy during the day?
I am working in morning check jobs in the plant and the afternoon in meetings.
b.      I’m very busy in the morning. When are the quiet times for you?
This moment the quiet times is the weekend with my family.
a.       Business is quiet in the summer. Which days are you busy during the week?
The Every days is busy, the Monday a Friday in the work.
b.      I’m always busy on Mondays.
Yes, always busy Mondays.


·         When are the busy times?
My moments very busy are the afternoon for many meetings.
·         When are the quiet times?
My moments the quiet is in the night in my house.
·         Which moments in the year do you particularly enjoy? Why?
Christmas is special for family junction.

Vocabulary 2 –Leisure activities


Going to, listening to, playing, and watching.



1.    Playing golf
2.    Watching TV
3.    Going restaurants
4.    Listening to music (on my iPod)
5.    Playing tennis
6.    Watching the cinema
7.    Playing football
8.    Playing the gym
9.    Listening to concerts
10. Listening to the guitar
11. Listening to DVDs
12. Playing computer games



I love running at the weekend.
I like going to the cinema on Friday night.
Table 3: Table the work 2
1
Love
2
At the weekend
Like
On Friday/Saturday night
Quite like
In the summer/winter
Don`t like
In August/December

In the morning/afternoon/evening
§  I love basketball at the weekend.
§  I like dancing on Friday night.
§  I like read on Saturday night.
§  I quite like the beach in the summer.
§  The winter in forest I quite like.
§  I don’t like quite in august.
§  I like sleeping early in the evening.
§  I don’t like awakening early in the morning.
§  I don’t like the month December.


She likes to serve customers and to be informed about their own and not look bad and respond quickly.
Ros can be:
§  In her typical day
§  Running a workshop or a discussion
§  In her own office in front of a computer screen
§  On the phone

Vocabulary –Adjectives; too/ enough


Broken   clean   confusing   fast   flexible   noisy

ü  Our employees enjoy having flexible hours.
ü  The new sales assistant got a fast promotion.
ü  We want a clean and well-furnished apartment.
ü  Their old printer is broken, so they want a new one.
ü  The instructions are not clear. They are very confusing.
ü  When the machinery in the factory starts, it is very noisy.

ü  The bed is too hard. It isn’t soft enough.
ü  The seats aren’t wide enough. They’re too narrow.

Write sentences using too or enough and adjectives from Exercise B relating to the underlined words.
Student A: Turn to page 130
Student B: Turn to page 137
1.      The report doesn’t give much information. (too/enough)
It’s too short. / It isn’t long enough.
2.      I can’t carry these suitcases. (too)
It’s too heavy
3.      I can’t meet you at six o’clock in the morning. (too)
It’s too noisy
4.      I don’t want this car. Its top speed is only 100 kilometres per hour. (too/enough)
It’s too slow / It isn’t fast enough
5.      Don’t take any visitors to those areas late at night. (too/enough)
It’s too dangerous / It isn`t safe enough
6.      That camera doesn’t fit in my pocket. (too/enough)
It’s too long / It isn’t short enough
7.      The hotel room is $1.000 dollars a night. (too/enough)
It’s too noisy / It isn’t quite enough
8.      I can’t sleep because of the music from the party. (too/enough)
It’s too noisy / It isn’t quiet enough




Illustrations 1: Crossword Object 1-platform








Table 4: Crossword


S
W
E
D
E
N

U

I
M
G
A
M
H
U
E
T
T
U
R
K
I
S
H

U

U


I

M
N
N

N
N

W
E
D
N
E
S
D
A
Y

A

V

I

E
Y
E
A
A

R

R

 



1.2      Grammar



My names Maristella. I ­­­­‘m Brazilian and I’m from Sao Pablo. I ’m a research analyst for an investment bank in New York. I’m married with two children, a boy and a girl. They‘re at high school in Scarsdale. My husband‘s American and he‘s a doctor. My sister‘s in New York, too. She‘s a student at Columbia University. We‘re all interested in sports and movies. My son‘s a good tennis player.


OK

Tabla 5: Table the work 3
1
Name
My name’s Julian
4
Nationality
Is Colombian
2
Job
I’m a(n)  Mechanical Engineer
5
Interests
Sports and reading.
3
City
I’m from Bogotá
6
Favourite sports
Is biking

My wife is Derly Ardila. She’s Colombian and she’s from Bogotá. She’s social communicator and journalist. She`s intelligent, we have three children’s. Your sister‘s live in Bucaramanga. Actually we are very happy.


·         She`s Russian, but she isn’t from Moscow.
·         They’re Japanese, but they aren’t from Tokyo.
·         He`s German, but he isn`t from Munich.
·         I’m in sales, but I’m not the manager.
·         The office is in Paris, but it isn’t in the centre.
·         Her name is Sophia, but she isn’t Italian.
1.2.2.6. (F) Match the questions and answers about Sergio.
Table 6: Table the work 4
1
Are you Spanish?
a
No, I’m a marketing manager.
2
Are you a sales manager?
b
No, she’s Mexican.
3
Are you married?
c
No, I’m Italian.
4
Is your wife a manager?
d
No, she’s a lawyer.
5
Is she Italian?
e
Yes, I am. That’s a picture of  my wife






an Accountant
an Architect
an Artist
a Cashier
a Consultant
a Director
a Doctor
an Engineer
an Executive
a Journalist
a Lawyer
a Manger
an Office worker
an Optician
a Personal assistant (PA)
A Pilot
a Receptionist
a Research analyst
a Sales assistant
a Technician
a Telephone operator
a Trainee


I`m a Mechanical engineer. My father is retired. My brother is bank manager. My sister is an Industrial Engineer. My mother is a housewife. My friend Cesar is an Industrial engineer and my wife Derly is social communicator and journalist.

Table 7: Table the work 5

Pierre
Gustavo
Silvia
1
What is his/her job?
An engineer
A lawyer
an Architect

2
Where is he/she from?
Switzerland
A Argentina
Sicily
3
Where is his/her office?
Singapore
New York
Rome
4
What does his/her partner do?
IT consultant
A journalist
A househusband




Checks  does  drives  finishes  gets  has   likes   makes   spends travels

Darren Throop gets up at 6 a.m. and does some exercise in the gym in his house. At about 6.30, he makes breakfast for his two daughters. Then he checks his e-mails in his home office. He drives to work. At lunch time, he has a salad at his desk. At work, he spends a lot of time in meetings and on conference calls. He finishes his office day at about 5 p.m. He travels on business a lot, so he likes to spend all his free time with his family.
1.2.3.2. (B) Complete this information about Masami Kimura. Use the correct form of the verbs in brackets
I`m Masami Kimura and I’m married with two children, Aiko and Katsuki. They go (go) to an international school. My husband’s name is Seito. He work (work) for a shipping company, and I work (work) for an international securities company.
We live (live) in Tokyo, near Shinjuku. I travel (travel) to work by subway, but Seito drive (drive) to work. We both likes (like) sports and travelling. At the weekend, we play (play) golf or we go (go) camping.



-          She usually gets up early. (Usually)
She usually gets up early.
-          They start their first meeting at nine o’clock. (Always)
They always start their first meeting at nine o’clock.
-          We are late for meetings. (Never)
We are never late for meetings.
-          I am busy in the afternoon. (Often)
I am often busy in the afternoon.
-          The office closes at 3 p.m. (sometimes)
The sometimes office closes at 3 p.m.

1 a. He reads the papers every day.
   B He always / sometimes reads the papers.
2 a. We eat in the company cafeteria four times a week.
   B We usually / sometimes eat in the company cafeteria.
3 a. I work late once a month.
   B I usually / sometimes work late.
4 a. The managers don’t go to business dinners at the weekend.
   B The managers never / sometimes go to business dinners at the weekend.
5 a. The Company Director travels on business twice a week.
   B The Company Director always / often travels on business.

Table 8: Table the work 6

Mark
Isabelle
Dan
1
What do you do when you get to work?
Say hello to colleagues, check e-mail.
Check her e-mail and have a coffee with my colleagues.
Meeting with my team, check my e-mails in my BlackBerry.
2
Where do you have lunch?
I sometimes go home, in restaurant because it’s close to work.
Usually have a sandwich at and desk.
In company restaurant.
3
How often do you travel on business?
Always in Paris and New York.
Never travel for work.
Visit the sales office in South Africa and Europe.
4
What do you do that weekend?
I meet friends for a meal or we go clubbing.
With my children and invite friends for dinner or go to the cinema.
Read a lot and listen to music and play golf.





Table 9: Table the work 7
1
What do you think about the new boss?
A
Peter. He`s your line manager.
2
What time does the meeting start?
B
He has to pay for the office party.
3
Where does she live?
C
You can leave at five o’clock.
4
Why does he need the money?
D
She’s very efficient.
5
Who do I report to?
E
In the city centre.
6
When do I finish work?
F
It starts at two o’clock.



-          Weekend / work / they / Do / at / the /?
Do they work at the weekend?
-          Pierre / in / sales / Does / work /?
Does Pierre in sales work?
-          You / do / travel / abroad / How / often /?
How do you travel abroad often?
-          You / spell / How / business / do/?
How you spell do business?
-          Finish / does / the / meeting / When/?
When does finish the meeting?
Student A: Turn to page 132.                 Student B: Turn to page 144
1.      What time / start work?                     What time do you start work?
2.      When / finish work?                         When do you finish work?
3.      Where / work?                                   Where do you work?
4.      Who / report to?                                Who do you report to?
5.      How often / work at the weekend?  How often do you work at the weekend?

-          I like meetings. (presentations)
I like meetings, but I don’t like presentations.
-          We waste a lot of paper. (electricity)
We waste a lot of paper, but we aren’t waste electricity
-          They agree about most things. (money)
They agree about most things, but they aren’t agree about most money
-          Susan sends a lot of e-mails. (faxes)
Susan sends a lot of e-mails, but she isn’t sends faxes
-          Our management team discusses business strategy. (employee problems)
Our management team discusses business strategy, but your aren’t management team discusses employee problems
§  I agree with my manager about everything………………. (---)
§  I don’t work in teams very often…………………………. (---)
§  I always come to work/college on time. …………………. (√ )
§  I don’t like giving presentations………………………….. (√ )
§  I never take work home in the evening or at the weekend… (---)





                                                                                      

Activity 2


Reading – Angela Ahrendts

Table 10: Table the work 8
Angela Ahrendts

Age
50
Job
Chief executive officer
Nationality
American
Family
Have a son (15) and two daughters (14 and 11)
Interests outside work
Eat pizza with her children or play basketball and its family.

Table 11: Table the work 9
1
Burberry is an American company. 
F
(It’s a British company)
2
Burberry is a global fashion company.
T

3
All Ahrendts’s children are teenagers.
T

4
They are at school in America.
F
(They are at school in London)
5
Most mornings, Ahrendts is up before 5 a.m.
T
(She usually gets up around 4.30)
6
She is away on business most weeks.
F
(She travels on business one week a moth)
7
She has a lot of interests outside work.
T

8
For Ahrendts, keeping in contact with relatives is important.

T
(Family is important for Ahrendts)


Read article Business diary: Eugene Kaspersky, and develop exercises A to E. Send these exercises in the Word file corresponding to Study Guide 1. DO NOT take photos of the pages and paste them on the Word file; you have to type these exercises (including the instructions).

-          What do you think is a typical day in the life of the CEO of a big company?
Karpersky spends 50% of this time in Moscow, but the other 50% he travels. He is often away for more than three weeks at a time. When he is away, he attends meetings, goes to trade shows and sometimes gives presentations. When he is in the office, he spends time talking informally to colleagues – at their desks or in company restaurant.
-          How much time de CEOs spend travelling?
He spends 50% of this time in Moscow, but the other 50% he travels. He is often away for more than three weeks at a time
-          Do CEOs need holidays?
Holidays are important  too. “In winter, I go skiing. In the summer, I often go to the mountains, where I can`t use the Internet or my mobile phone”.



Yes, in their activities what explains their routine daily work with you holiday..

-          Is Kaspersky a formal or informal CEO?
Kaspersky is a CEO who meets two different handling characteristics and work environments.
-          Is most of his business in Russia or in other countries?
Yes, their work is handled mostly in Russia and in other cities control
-          Does he work 24/7 (24 hours a day, seven days a week)?
Yes, with holidays.


*      Kaspersky travels a lot…………………………………………….  T
*      He wears formal business clothes in the office……………………  T
*      He gets up early every day………………………………………… T
*      He goes to the gym after work…………………………………….. T
*      He likes to have time to relax when he’s in Moscow……………… T
*      He only has holidays in summer…………………………………… F





Table 12: Table the work 10

1
trade
a.       
trips
2
business
b.       
Show
3
Personal
c.        
Day
4
Office
d.       
Trainer
5
Attend
e.        
Presentations
6
Give
f.        
Skiing
7
Spend
g.       
Meetings
8
go
h.       
Time

Reading– Workplace problems


Badly paid    boring    interesting    noisy    quiet    relaxing    stressful   well paid

Badly paid
Noisy
Stressful

OK.
Table 13: Table the work 11
Problems

Name
Long working day
V
Breaks too short
X
X
Long hours at workstation
V
Boring work
K
No promotion
K
Angry customers
V
Low pay
X
X
No time between calls
K
High staff turnover
K
A lot of noise
B

-                                           The workstations are very close together, so it’s very noisy.
-                                           I have hearing problems.
-                                           Most of my colleagues have backache.
-                                           I often get headaches from looking at the computer screen for too long


Badly paid    boring    interesting    noisy
Quiet    relaxing    stressful   well paid

2.2.1. Go over Learning Object 2 to get familiar with common.
Structures of the simple present tense and then be able to talk about a common business daily routine. Now you can try a similar dialogue with a classmate.
Illustrations 2: Exercise platform



- He lives in London……………………………………………………….. (T)
- He has three very young children………………………………………… (T)
- He runs his own business…………………………………………………. (T)
- His business works for organizations across the USA and Asia………….  (T)
- He helps leaders become better leaders…………………………………..  (F)
- He always shakes hands when he meets people………………………….  (T)
I usually say, “Hello How are you?”, “Where do you come from?”, “What do you do?”, I usually find out what‘s important to them, why they’re there. I usually wait until they’ve asked me a question before I talk too much about myself.
I usually wait until the person I’m meeting offers me a business card before I offer them mine, so we’ll exchange them at that point.

I work for different clients on different projects, and when the client needs me for something.
Ros can be:
·                    In front of
·                    I can be running a workshop or a discussion.
·                    In her own office in front of a computer screen.
·                    On the phone.
-                     What two things sometimes make it difficult to enough time for leisure?
Some weeks I do work very long hours, and I also have teenage children.
-                     Overall, does Ros have enough time for leisure?
Ye- s, I think I do have enough time for leisure.

2.2.3.4.                     (D) In pairs, predict what Ros likes doing to relax.
Her you like does with your family and play children


At the weekends, I spend a lot of my time reading the newspaper. I catch up on the news from the previous week. And also I try to go out running.

Listening— Typical work problems

-          Jeremy often works with a large number of people………………… (F)
-          His clients have quite complicated problems………………………. (T)
-          Jeremy’s biggest problem is having enough time to do a good job… (T)
-          He also faces urgent request for help when he is already very busy...(T)
·         Biggest problem – amount of change they have to go through at speed.
·         Second problem – difficult to plan their needs and resources (staff, equipment, property, money they need to satisfy their customers).
·                   Another problem – customer expect them to reduce their prices at the same time as companies have increasing costs.

-          What sorts of problem is Jeremy asked to solve?
My customers usually ask me to help them solve complicated problems, where lots of people need to be involved in designing the solution.
-          What was the problem Jeremy had to solve?
Recently, there was a computer system that had to be introduced that affected millions of customers and their bills.
-          Which different groups did he bring together to solve the problem?
I brought the technical team, the business team, the project team and the suppliers together in one room, and by understanding the whole problem, and by understanding each others individual problems, we came up with the solution that solve the problem altogether.

Check my answers and corrected

2.2.6.      Open this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0eu8OQ-cfQ and answer the questions as follows in the Word file to be delivered:
Write at least three different greetings Anna uses to say hello to her friends.
ü  Where is Mr. Cho from?
Taipei offices the is designer
ü  What is Mr. Méndez profession?
Programmer
ü  Why is the Japanese girl travelling?
To study
ü  What time does the class supposed to start?
At Seven o’clock

ü  Who is the first person the Japanese girl talks to when she gets inside the room?
Professor Braun
ü  Why is the brown-skin woman mad at Sam?
Because this messy workplace Sam























Activity 3

Task
Table 14: Table the work 12
Jenny Wong
Cindy Tan
David Chong
- Is from Taiwan.
- She isn’t a university graduate.
- Her work experience in sales assistant in bookshop.
- Speaking fluent Chinese and basic English.
- Is from Hong Kong.
- She is university graduate in Geography.
- Cindy Tan has no work experience.
- Speaking fluent Chinese and English.
- David Chong is interested in computer games.
- Is from Singapore.
- has work experience in website designer.
- Speaking fluent Chinese and English.


3.1.1.2. (B) Imagine you have time to talk to only one of the candidates. Decide which person you want to meet.

A: I’d like to talk to Cindy Tan because your profile is interest so young.
B: I agree / don’t agree. I think
I agree
What graduate, what to speak two languages, what your interests it’s the conversation and the people.
I don’t agree
Have no experience in any work.
I think
It is a very competent person since he is young and has just graduated from the University

3.1.1.3. (C) You meet at the job fair and talk about the sales position.


Student A
You are a director of Treadlight Film Company. Ask the job seeker questions based on these prompts:
·         Where you come from?
I’m from Japanese
·         Why you want job?
My job is important for my family and me.
·         What your best quality?
Is very I important the experience.
·         What your favorite film or television program?
I don’t see T.V program.
·         Why you like the film television program?
I don’t like to see T.V
Student B
You are a job seeker. Think of answers to Student A’s questions.

I`m Julian Moreno I’m married. I’m live with my wife and my sons, I have niece. I have work; I am now dedicated to work in the new projects.
And read case study 2. Meet a classmate and record the interview between a member of the Human Resource Department and an employee (tasks 1 and 2). Use http://vocaroo.com/ or http://online-voice-recorder.com/es/ to record the interview, and then paste the link on the Word file to be delivered indicating the names of both team members.
CD 1.29. Listen to member of Human Resources interviewing one of the company’s employees. Discuss what the employee likes and dislikes about his work. In Your opinión, how should he solve his problem?
Tasks
3.1.3.1. Work in pairs.
-          Student A: See right.
Interview a staff member and ask questions. Note down the answers.
INTRODUCTION
Good morning I am from Human Resources and I am going to ask some questions about your job.
SPEAK
HR: HUMAN RESOURCES MP: MEDIA PLANNER
HR: What is your job?
Ø  MP: I am a graphic designer.
HR: What do you do each day?
Ø  MP: I meet clients to discuss what they want; produce new ideas for clients and help them to improve their website design.
HR: What hours do you work?
Ø  MP: I don’t have fixed times, but I work very long hours.
HR: How often do you have breaks?
Ø  MP: I don’t have fixed times to take breaks.
HR: When and where do you have lunch?
Ø  MP: I always have lunch at my desk. I usually eat fast food or I carry a takeaway meal.
HR: What don’t you like about your job?
Ø  MR:
n  The owners don’t listen to you when the website developers and designers discuss new projects.
n  The owners get angry if you have a hospital or dental appointment, or when you are late because you take the children to school.
n  Some of the younger designers need training, but the owners don’t want to send them on training courses.
HR: What do you like about your job?
Ø  MR:
n  You develop your imagination.
n  You improve your knowledge of systems diagramming very much.


          http://youtu.be/uIcufExxVpw  
Illustrations 3: Exercise platform



o   What he/she likes about his/her job?
o   What he/she does not like about his/her job?
o   What he/she wants to change in the company

Dear Mr. Gomez.
Once listened the interview done to the Mr. Jose David Cardozo I can have clarity in the following points:
- She is a person technically prepared to exercise labors of maintenance. - He takes advantage very well the time while of this one in his daily routine.
- This one compromised with his work since it works 14 days and rests 7, sacrifices time of his family.
- It is important bear it in mind for close trips and training. To conclude is a person candidate for positions of major responsibility.
I remain attentive to his commentaries,
Regards,
Julian Moreno T.
Analyst Senior




https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7106651343587628817#overview/src=dashboard

















Activity 4


4.1. Final project. (Stage 1)


4.1.1. Work in groups of 3 or 4 people.


The group consists of:
Julián Moreno
José David Cardozo
Cesar Acero

4.1.2. Choose one of the options as follows.


Option 1: choose a Colombian company exporting any product to the United States or Canada.

Option 2: choose an international company (English speaking country) which had introduced a product or a service to Colombia.


4.1.3. After having chosen the company, send an email to your tutor and classmates telling them the name of the company you will be working in. You cannot work with another team’s company.


Illustrations 4: Mail confirmation group




4.1.4. Complete the following information.


4.1.4.1. Members of the group.


Julián Moreno
José David Cardozo
Cesar Acero

4.1.4.2. Option chosen.


Option B

4.1.4.3. Company background (history including the facts when the company entered into the foreign market).



Pacific Rubiales Energy



Fondo de la empresa
Illustrations 5: Logo Pacific Rubiales




4.1.5. Create a blog, include the information above in such blog, and paste the link of your blog in the Word file.




Bibliográfia


 

Cotton, D., Falvey, D., & Kent, S. (2014). Elementary Market Leader. Pearson.










                                                                                      

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario